Great Ethiopian Run Fundraising Tips and Tricks
Posted by Francesca Rutherford on Monday 11th February 2019
Great Ethiopian Run 2019!
This November we’re celebrating our 30th Anniversary and offering you a once in a lifetime opportunity to join our 30th Anniversary Challenge to Ethiopia. This trip promises to be a life changing experience with chance to see and meet, first-hand, the incredible Ethiopian entrepreneurs and partner projects that inspired Sir Alec Reed 30 years ago whilst also taking part in Africa's biggest road race, the Addis Ababba 10K!
The trip will take place from the 13th – 22rd November 2019 and you will need to commit to fundraising £3,000.
Now, we hear you… £3,000 AND a 10K run… here are some tips and tricks to pushing and challenging yourself in ways you didn’t know were possible!
Previous successful participant:
“Biggest tip would be to manage your time! It is do-able! I look after Swindon’s largest accounts so the recruitment I do is high volume (Basically means I never switch off) and I managed to do it alongside my work!”
“I made cakes and sold them via Facebook! It’s all time management so it’s worth making a plan”
We can agree, best advice – ‘Make a schedule and plan how you’re going to fundraise and stick to it!’
Another successful participant shared how she managed to raise the money:
- Friday afternoon 'Cocktail Club' in branch (had to be authorised by BM at the time & AM) - made cocktails for the team for them to buy each Friday at 5pm
- Cake sales - joined forces with another colleague in a megasite and split the funds raised between our JustGiving pages
- Quiz Nights (Client Events) - spoke to my Area Manager and secured client entertainment budget from them to host a local quiz night for clients and their teams. This meant we were able to provide the venue and complimentary drinks for clients, and asked them to donate £5 per head to Ethiopiaid to participate. These proved to be successful and the branch are still running them for different causes each quarter!
- 30th Birthday presents - the year I participated I turned 30 in the August prior, and asked my friends and family to donate to my fundraising effort instead of buying me presents
- 30th birthday party raffle - secured donated prizes from local businesses etc and ran a raffle at my 30th birthday party with all raffle ticket sales going to my JustGiving total
- Friends and family sports events - sold cakes at my boyfriend’s football matches etc.
Jade, a 2018 Team Member who admitted to struggling with a lack of time, said “Coming on this trip, honestly, I’d give all my time, because this is incredible and it will change my life”.
Okay.. so the next challenge is that 10K!
Luckily for you (and us!) there are more than 40,000 runners, joggers, walkers and dancers. For those wanting to run a timed race under 1hr we can enter for the earlier set off. But for the rest of us the whole run is a great party atmosphere with many runners chooseing to stop for a drink along the way! Now thats our kind of 10K race!
Best advice for the run... Drink plenty of water, stick with the group and HAVE FUN!
If you’re interested and would like more information about the challenge OR would like to chat and find out more about this trip please get in touch!